State Penitentiary, Richmond, Va.
|Title:||Card Title: State Penitentiary, Richmond, Va.|
James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives, contributor
VCU Libraries, publisher
Louis Kaufmann & Sons, Baltimore, MD., printer
|Type of Resource:||still image|
|Other Date:||No published or copyright date listed on postcard.|
File Number: post396.jpg (file number)
CONTENTdm ID: postcard/id/208 (CONTENTdm ID)
Card Text: View from Gambles Hill Park. The original buildings erected on this site were burned to the ground in 1829, the convicts being rescued with great difficulty. At the evacuation its doors were opened and all its inmates liberated. The present buildings and grounds embrace an area of 16 acres and it confines about 1700 prisoners. Extensive work shops are contained within its walls; the shoe shop turning out about 6000 pairs of shoes per day. All condemned malefactors are here electrocuted.
Series # 39;
Postmarked: Not postmarked.
Geographic Coverage: Richmond (Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond
Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
Richmond (Va.) -- Pictorial works
Richmond (Va.) -- Postcards
|Rights:||This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.|
|Rights Statement:||No Copyright - United States|
|Rights Statement URL:||https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/|
|Is Part Of:||Collection: Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond as seen through vintage postcards.|