'White House of the Confederacy' (Twelfth and Clay Streets), Richmond, Va.
|Title:||Card Title: 'White House of the Confederacy' (Twelfth and Clay Streets), Richmond, Va.|
James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives, contributor
VCU Libraries, publisher
Gray Line Motor Tours, Richmond, Va., printer
|Type of Resource:||still image|
|Other Date:||No published or copyright date listed on postcard.|
File Number: post645.jpg (file number)
CONTENTdm ID: postcard/id/585 (CONTENTdm ID)
Card Text: Formerly a private residence, it was purchased in 1862 by the City of Richmond for the use of the Confederate Government and was occupied during the war by President Davis and his family. It is now a Confederate Museum, each of the 13 Confederate States having in it a memorial room. In front of the mansion is the propeller shaft of the 'Merrimac' whose engagement with the 'Monitor' revolutionized naval warfare the world over.
This postcard is part of a fold out set of postcards entitled 'Souvenir of Richmond, Va.' dating from the 1920s.
Postmarked: Not postmarked.
Geographic Coverage: Richmond (Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond
Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
Richmond (Va.) -- Pictorial works
Richmond (Va.) -- Postcards
|Rights:||This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.|
|Rights Statement:||No Copyright - United States|
|Rights Statement URL:||https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/|
|Is Part Of:||Collection: Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond as seen through vintage postcards.|