Old Bell House, Capitol Square, Richmond, Va.
|Title:||Card Title: Old Bell House, Capitol Square, Richmond, Va.|
James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives, contributor
VCU Libraries, publisher
Louis Kaufmann & Sons, Baltimore, MD., printer
|Type of Resource:||still image|
|Other Date:||No published or copyright date listed on postcard.|
File Number: post615.jpg (file number)
CONTENTdm ID: postcard/id/582 (CONTENTdm ID)
Card Text: This venerable though unsightly structure was erected in 1824; its belfry (now untenanted) being used to summon loitering members of the Legislature during its sessions, and also to give warning of fires in the City. In the lower floors a guard-house and armory were maintained. During the war its tocsin frequently sounded 'alarms' upon the near approach of the enemy.
Postmarked: Not postmarked.
Geographic Coverage: Richmond (Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond
Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
Richmond (Va.) -- Pictorial works
Richmond (Va.) -- Postcards
|Rights:||This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.|
|Rights Statement:||No Copyright - United States|
|Rights Statement URL:||https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/|
|Is Part Of:||Collection: Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond as seen through vintage postcards.|