Old St. Paul's Church and New Parish House, Richmond, Va.
|Title:||Card Title: Old St. Paul's Church and New Parish House, Richmond, Va.|
James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives, contributor
VCU Libraries, publisher
Louis Kaufmann & Sons, Baltimore, MD., printer
|Type of Resource:||still image|
|Other Date:||No published or copyright date listed on postcard.|
File Number: post131.jpg (file number)
CONTENTdm ID: postcard/id/101 (CONTENTdm ID)
Card Text: St. Paul's Church, Ninth and Grace Sts., Richmond, Va. This historic church of the Corinthian order of architecture, was completed in 1845, and has long been prominently associated with the social, as well as the religious life of the city. It was here on the morning of April 2, 1865, that a dispatch was handed President Davis from General Lee, announcing the loss of Petersburg, and the consequent necessity for the evacuation of Richmond, which occurred that night. President Davis and General Lee occupied pews in this church during the war. The pews are marked with name plates.
815 East Grace Street; C.T. American Art; Series # A-97003;
Postmarked: Not postmarked.
Geographic Coverage: Richmond (Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond
Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
Richmond (Va.) -- Pictorial works
Richmond (Va.) -- Postcards
|Rights:||This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.|
|Rights Statement:||No Copyright - United States|
|Rights Statement URL:||https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/|
|Is Part Of:||Collection: Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond as seen through vintage postcards.|