Van Lew House, Richmond, Va.
|Title:||Card Title: Van Lew House, Richmond, Va.|
James Branch Cabell Library. Special Collections and Archives, contributor
VCU Libraries, publisher
Tuck & Sons', printer
|Type of Resource:||still image|
File Number: post021.jpg (file number)
CONTENTdm ID: postcard/id/159 (CONTENTdm ID)
Card Text: The Van Lew House is probably one of the best examples of Colonial architecture. The date of erection is not known, but additions were made in 1792. The original grant was made to Sir William Byrd; in 1834 it came into the possession of Mr. John Van Lew, and during the Civil War was occupied by his daughter, Lizzie, the famous Union spy, who here secreted hundreds of Union soldiers. The house is now owned and occupied by the Virginia Club.
2300 block of East Grace Street; Series # 2509;, Richmond, Virginia
Postmarked: Not postmarked.
Geographic Coverage: Richmond (Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Richmond
Richmond (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
Richmond (Va.) -- Pictorial works
Richmond (Va.) -- Postcards
|Rights:||This material is in the public domain in the United States and thus is free of any copyright restriction. Acknowledgement of Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries as a source is requested.|
|Rights Statement:||No Copyright - United States|
|Rights Statement URL:||https://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/|
|Is Part Of:||Collection: Rarely Seen Richmond: Early twentieth century Richmond as seen through vintage postcards.|